Following World War II, young neurosurgeons returned home looking to improve both their skills and the health of their communities. To meet these needs, the Congress of Neurological Surgeons was founded on May 10, 1951.
By the first Annual Meeting in November 1951, there were 121 members. In the over 60 years since, our membership has grown to over 9,600 neurosurgeons worldwide.
One of our founding members, James Gay, M.D., has documented the early days.
View the Historical Timeline
Naming the CNS
The goal from the beginning was to provide the best training to neurosurgeons and improve health around the world. Our name was chosen to reflect this international reach, while also referencing our surgical focus, the central nervous system.
Miscellaneous Historical Essays